cabinets

New Blingy Hardware

20141116_121436_resized

Aren’t they pretty?  I’m so excited.  The amber color of the knobs ties in with the wood that we used on the island and above the bulkhead.  I got them from a seller on eBay for a pretty good price.  They were exactly what I was looking for.  It was really difficult to get them on there tight though.  The drawers pulls were even worse to install.  Previously the drawers had a single knob in the middle.  I had filled those holes before I painted the drawers.  We then used a template to drill new holes.

20141115_144732_resized

Below you can see the old hole in the middle on the inside of the drawer front with the 2 new holes drilled on each side.

20141115_144708_resized

And just to make it more difficult, the screws that were included with the handles weren’t long enough.  Balls!  We decided that the best solution would be to drill out around the new holes in the back so that we could get the nut on.

20141115_144805_resized

It seems like I have a knack for choosing hardware that is a pain in the ass for various reasons.

20141115_144856_resized

Ok, now we can attach the pulls.

20141115_145051_resized

And…

20141116_121525_resized

I like how they catch the sunlight from the skylight during the day.

20141116_121356_resized

They really tie the room together.

20141116_121456_resized

 

I Suck at Taking Photos

Ugh.  I keep missing opportunities for “big reveals” on this here blog because I keep forgetting to take pictures.  Dang it!  I have never been the person who takes lots of photos–even though modern technology means that I can do so whenever I want because of my phone and all.  As such, I missed out on doing an upper cabinet post for the kitchen.  So I guess now y’all get to see the upper cabinets PLUS the addition of more wood to the kitchen.

This is my singular photo of working of the upper cabinets in progress.  I went with a cream color.  As with the base cabinets, I sanded the uppers and used Behr Premium Plus Ultra brand paint from Home Depot in Satin Enamel.  I had it tinted to Sherwin Williams color #6127 Ivoire.

20141031_145446_resized

So, I painted all of the uppers and then Slowhand and I got to work adding more wood to the walls above the bulkhead.

20141102_185148_resized

This time around we used 8′ x 4″ bender wood which worked much better than the fence wood we used on the island.  It was thinner and much easier to work with.  For some reason we didn’t notice it at Lowe’s when we were looking at wood the first time or else we probably would have used it to begin with.  Live and learn I guess…

20141102_193838_resized

The one drawback was that we could not find any gray-ish pieces like I had found for the island.  I wanted a similar look, so I improvised with some Rust-Oleum wood stain in Driftwood.  I just rubbed it on some of the lighter pieces with the grain to achieve a gray/weathered appearance.

20141102_190540_resized

It ended up working out quite nice and I even added a little bit of the stain to some of the wood on the island.

20141103_121051_resized

20141103_142333_resized

Grrr.  Those white track lights.  They irritate me ever time I see them.  They are on the chopping block for sure.  We’ve been busy bees and are close to finishing up the kitchen, so more on that coming soon!