I’m going to start right off by saying that this is my absolute favorite project that we have done yet. Last December we picked up this old rusty wagon wheel from the “Epic Estate Sale.”
I had been stewing on the idea for some time about making a wagon wheel chandelier to hang above the dining room table and this lovely old gal fit the bill to a “T.” After some debate about the best/most attractive way to run electricity for the lights, we settled on drilling 5 holes through the hub.
Hanging the wheel was also a challenge as she is nearly 60 pounds.
We went with some heavy duty chains that wrap up and around a double joist in the attic. I decided to spray the chains with a mix of Rust-Oleum paints to try and mimic the rusty look of the wheel.
We went with an antique gold vintage style socket and olive colored cloth wrapped wire for the lights.
Then it was just a matter of running the wire and deciding how to stagger the lights.
When a friend calls on a Sunday morning and says a combination of the phrases, “huge, estate sale, western memorabilia, and happening now” you can bet your bottom dollar that Slowhand and I got off of our asses and hightailed it across town to check it out stat. Let me tell you, it was beyond awesome. Every inch of the house inside and out was PACKED with western and movie memorabilia–posters, autographed photos, film props, southwest décor, books, records, tools, and many, many, many odds and ends. Needless to say, we didn’t leave empty handed.
We scored a number of nicely framed movie posters.
The sale went on for 3 weekends. We were there the first weekend and then I went back alone the last Saturday and Slowhand ended up there on the last Sunday.
We got quite a bit of stuff–much more than what is pictured here. As I post more pictures of the house in the future, I’ll point out items that came from this sale.
I have big plans for the wagon wheel and the little bench pictured above. I actually have a full-time job now, so I don’t have as much free time to devote towards working on house projects, but as I get to them, I will be sure to share!
Aren’t they pretty? I’m so excited. The amber color of the knobs ties in with the wood that we used on the island and above the bulkhead. I got them from a seller on eBay for a pretty good price. They were exactly what I was looking for. It was really difficult to get them on there tight though. The drawers pulls were even worse to install. Previously the drawers had a single knob in the middle. I had filled those holes before I painted the drawers. We then used a template to drill new holes.
Below you can see the old hole in the middle on the inside of the drawer front with the 2 new holes drilled on each side.
And just to make it more difficult, the screws that were included with the handles weren’t long enough. Balls! We decided that the best solution would be to drill out around the new holes in the back so that we could get the nut on.
It seems like I have a knack for choosing hardware that is a pain in the ass for various reasons.
Ok, now we can attach the pulls.
I like how they catch the sunlight from the skylight during the day.
It started innocently enough. I saw an advertisement for a place here in Las Vegas that sells reclaimed barn wood. Slowhand and I had been talking about using some rustic wood somewhere in the house, so we decided to go and check it out. The place had some really beautiful wood, but at $7+ a foot, we just couldn’t stomach the price.
Later that day we decided to stop in at Lowe’s for some light bulbs and decided to check out their lumber department “just for the heck of it.” Well, wouldn’t you know it, but $20 and one hour later we were in the midst of adding some fence wood to the front of our kitchen island. Here are some before shots (the first is from the real estate listing before we moved in):
We removed the wooden support brackets and covered over the electrical outlet on the front. There are outlets on both sides of the island, so the one in front wasn’t really necessary.
We decided to miter the corners which was a lot more work than just butting the ends up together, but I think it has a more professional look. We attached the wood with an air nail gun and liquid nails. Lord help whoever tries to remove that wood in the future (hopefully it won’t be us!), because that wood is on there!
We chose a combination of redwood and cedar for color variation and staggered the boards. This caused a whole mess of headaches because the redwood boards were slightly wider than the cedar boards.
As usual, Bettie Lu supervised the project.
All in all, we are very happy with the results. This project has jump started a whole kitchen makeover, so more on that to come.
Just the facts: I buy an old Wrangler jeans advertisement off of eBay because it is vintage, western, and funny/weird. Needs a frame. I go to Goodwill and find a $3 framed picture that I think will work. Take it home.
Nice rustic frame, clear glass. I disassemble it.
Bonus: The mat boards come apart and one fits my advertisement. The little cut-out at the top even mimics the southwestern detail on my fireplace. Reassemble and pow! New/old picture to hang.
Extra bonus: I recycle the old mat boards/picture and keep the unused 30 cents in stamps! Happy dance ensues.